Expectations

Hi Friends, 

So I was told pretty early in the summer to check my expectations of Germany at the door. Whatever I thought Germany/the RA life/my team would be like, I should chuck it out right then, because I would end up being wrong and those expectations would be violated. 
Well I thought I did a pretty good job of that. But there have been a few expectations that slipped through the cracks that I thought I'd share with you. 

Things that turned out to be silly to expect: 

1. I expected to need a shower curtain. 
       This just seems like a staple household item that would be impossible to live without. WRONG! I haven't had a shower curtain since moving into my dorm, and it's actually working out fine. I mean I'm planning to get one, but in the mean time, it's really not a big deal. 

2. I expected my job to be clearly defined. 
      Since my entire dorm team is new, none of us really have clear picture of what our life will look like once the girls arrive or how exactly we go about preparing for their arrival. We've done a lot of guessing, a lot of asking, a lot of searching, a lot of doing without, and I think we're moving along. But I'll be honest: it's been much more stressful than I thought. I expected to get overwhelmed when the girls arrived. I didn't expect to get overwhelmed trying to figure out if we have mattress pads to put on their beds. 

3. I expected my apple juice to be still. 
       Apple soda really isn't a thing in western PA. I've often dreamed that someone might invent it, because I never like waiting for special occasions to pop open a bit of the bubbly (sparkling apple cider). Well apparently I've been missing out, because it's already a thing in Germany. It's called Apfelschule (I think...). And it's delicious. But that moment when I'm expecting normal apple juice and my tastebuds are instead greeted by a zesty chorus of fizz....that's crazy times.

So as to not overwhelm you, I'll stop there. I have more "expectation violations," though, so I'll probably continue the theme in another post. 

For now, here are two things you might want to see. 
1. The photo of all the new staff at BFA. We're the largest new staff ever!

2. This video tour that my co-RA Katie and I created of our dorm. It's a little cleaner now, but it'll give you a decent idea of what my home is like. :) 

Thank you for your prayers!

love,
ajr

Comments