'Forks are for the Weak' and Other Short Stories

Hello all,

Well, another set of Palmgarten Highlights are coming your way! But first, a few random comments:
1. Have any of you ever tried Speculoos? It's a French spread that I put on toast. And regular bread. And apples. And spoons. It's like magic in a jar and it's changing my life.
2. Jesus is really, really kind and faithful to me. There have been several times in the past couple weeks where I've wondered what I'm doing here. Sometimes my job seems mundane. Sometimes it's sheer chaos. And sometimes I feel like I'm not making any difference. But then a letter will come or someone will post pictures of my adorable nephews that make me smile (thanks Mom!) or one of my girls will come and talk with me just because she wants to or someone will offer me a hug that I secretly really wanted but I wouldn't admit it. And at those moments it's like God is saying, "Hey. I brought you here. Did you think I left?" I guess some days I do think that. Well it turns out He's still here.
3. Germany gets a lot of rain. But that's why somebody invented board games and puzzles. And mud soccer.

Anyway, here are some stories:

1. Forks are for the Weak

    As you may have noticed if you've glanced at a calendar lately, it's November. Everybody's been warning the Res Life staff about November: it's dark, it's rainy, and people are getting cranky. All true things. But in an attempt to be proactive and combat the rainy day blues, the staff is doing its best to spice up dorm life a little bit. One of these attempts was a Spaghetti Dinner this weekend. I know what you're thinking:  "La dee dah. Spaghetti. You're really breaking some new ground there, Betty Crocker." Yes, I realize spaghetti is nothing new. But at this dinner, the girls weren't allowed to use utensils. It was a hit. Mom, you would probably have been appalled. Molly DePew, you would probably have been proud. And let me tell you, everyone made an important discovery: spaghetti tastes even better when you're slurping it off the plate with your face.


Nice bibs, ladies!
Eunji, Yoel, and Haky embrace the madness.


Slurpin' Spaghetti


   








Even Dave and Linda got into it!


Yummy. :)

2. The British are Coming!
    My room has been invaded with tiny army men. This is mostly my fault because I'm the one who BOUGHT the army men. I gave them to Randi and Rachel, two of my more mischievous girls, to hide all over Katie's room. Imagine my surprise when I found that they took advantage of my generous assistance (and my absence) and hid the tiny little British soldiers all over my room. Somehow, I did not see that coming. But it's awesome.

3. Quiet Summer in the Fall
    The high school play was this past weekend--they performed Quiet Summer, a goofy comedy that I'm not going to take the time to summarize here. There were three Palm girls treading the boards, as well as a couple helping out behind the scenes. One of my teacher friends directed it. They did SUCH a good job and I was so proud. It makes me miss GCC's theater. Maybe someday I can help out with one of BFA's productions...:)
Amber and Brianne pose with Future Super Famous Stars of Stage and Screen, Bekah and Haley

That's all for now!

With lots of love and prayers till next time,

Amanda

Comments

  1. Amanda, I am only appalled that you are not sporting a bib! (boiling water to remove tomato sauce stains...) xox -Mom

    ReplyDelete
  2. The Middle School play is on its way....feel free to help out in anyway you'd like ;)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Well, the US Air Force men (woman + man) will soon be coming to invade your room too. And to hug you and to steal your Speculous. Love, Dad

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment