I guess I blinked.


Hi everyone,

I'm writing this update from the living room of my parents' house in Grove City, wondering how it's possible that the school year is over. Wasn't I just sitting in an airport waiting to board my first flight to Germany? It's crazy to me that it's been over a year since I finished college and began this incredible journey with all of you. It has been a wild ride, with more anecdotes and emotions than I have time to write or you have interest to read. But as I look back, the main feeling I have is an overwhelming sense of gratitude. What did I ever do to deserve this job? God is so good. If you've been following my blog, you know that it hasn't always been an easy job, nor has it always been fun. But I'm pretty sure it's the best job in the world. There's profound security and peace in knowing that I'm exactly where God wants me to be. Praise Jesus.

Anyway, I've been debating what to do for this last update before next year starts up again. I think instead of describing to you all the highlights of the past month, I'll take the time to answer a question that I asked several of my seniors as they were looking toward graduation.

What has been the biggest lesson you've learned at BFA, and how are you different now?
(I wish I'd been taking notes as I listened to what my girls had to say so I could share them with you. They had some great answers, ranging from "I've learned to speak up in groups" to "I've learned that God is real.")

I've learned a lot this year--things about myself that I never knew, things about God that I'd forgotten, things about living with and loving other people. But I think the biggest lesson I've learned is one of humility. Fun, right? That's everyone's favorite lesson to learn...
From the minute the girls moved into the dorm, I knew that I was in over my head. It was a sink-or-swim learning experience, as I tried to figure out the system and my role in it, and tried to find my way around. The girls would ask questions that I didn't know the answers to, and I made more than my share of mistakes, both in my interactions with the girls and with the other staff members. I got to know the taste of my own foot pretty well--it was in my mouth a lot. :)
So I've learned to ask for help. (There's something INCREDIBLY humbling about asking for help from a 16-year-old. Fortunately, they were gracious. :) )
And I've learned to apologize. It would be easy in the dorm to offend one of my girls or staff members and just ignore it. After all, everyone is usually operating in high stress mode, and surely they understand that I didn't mean to hurt or disrespect them. But I've learned the value of an apology. Simply being willing to go back to that girl and say, "Hey, I'm sorry I snapped at you. I know I'm tired, but that's no excuse for treating you like that." I didn't always have the guts to do it, but when I did, it's crazy how much healing and deepening God brought to that relationship. Living in community is hard, but a humble heart and a submissive spirit have proven to be incredible tools for building unity.
You can ask anyone in Palmgarten and they'll tell you that I don't have this lesson down perfectly yet. My pride has reared its ugly head more than a few times. But I am confident in this: that He who began this good work in me will carry it on to completion until the day of Christ Jesus. (Philippians 1:6)

Thank you for your love, prayer, and support over this past year. I covet your prayers as I prepare to head back in August, getting ready for Year Two. :) Bring it on.

Until August,

Amanda

(I can't not include pictures. :) Here are some snapshots of life in the dorm over the past month.)



Honoring our soon-to-be-graduates with a Senior Tribute dinner and ceremony.

Palm Seniors 2013--I miss these ladies already!
Dave with six of our seniors getting ready to head to graduation. :(

Two of our biggest pranksters getting ready to hide
 this newspaper man in another dorm. 
Yoel and her beautiful oil pastel drawing
at the high school art show.

Comments