Beginnings, Again

Hello everyone,

First of all, forgive the tardiness of this blogpost. As I flew back to Germany, began to get settled into my new apartment, started orientation for my new job, and even as school started up again, I kept thinking, "Man, I really need to update my blog." So that's embarrassing, but I am finally sitting down and making it happen.

I just completed my fourth "first week of school" at Black Forest Academy. As such, there's a lot of familiar: reunions with students that I've grown to know and love, reunions with other staff members, the pomp and ceremony of BFA as it kicks into gear again. I know this place, I know this town, and I know most of these names and faces.

And yet, I feel brand new, all over again.

It's strange, moving from the dorm to the teaching community. My job is different. I'm wearing professional clothes. My role with the students is different. My schedule is new. My co-workers are strangers. And the printer/copier/fax machine is still a device full of mystery and I still haven't figured out how to make it hole-punch and staple and double-side my printouts.

It's just so odd to be beginning all over again.

I'm learning to give myself grace for mistakes. Again.
I'm learning to reach out and invest in new people. Again.
I'm learning to trust people and allow them to invest in me. Again.
I'm learning that my identity really actually is only ever in the fact that Christ has accepted and redeemed me and I am His. Again.

I love this place, and as I look forward to this new year, I'm full of hope and fear and excitement and tiredness, all rolled into one grinning, "Well, here we go!" And we are certainly going.

I've hit the ground running, with play auditions right out of the gate, along with my Public Speaking and Introduction to Acting classes. I'll be casting the play tomorrow, and then rehearsals begin right after school on Tuesday! I'm pumped for the play, though I confess that I'm excited for this initial decision-making period to be over, so we can get on with the business of creating awesome theater!

I'm including a few photos down at the bottom, so you can get a glimpse of what's happening around here. But before that, I'd like to include a few prayer requests:


  • Pray for my classes. I'm teaching two high school classes, and I have a total of 16 students. I really want to teach them effectively, but also in a way that directs them to Christ. Is that even possible in an acting class? I don't know, but I pray that the mistakes I make while teaching won't distract them from seeing Jesus.
  • Pray for me as I cast the High School play. I got to watch SO many great auditions, and I can only cast 12 of them. It may seem like a small thing, but pray that I have wisdom to know who should be involved in the play this year.
  • Just pray for my transition. Some days I'm on cloud nine, and some days find myself so overwhelmed by responsibilities and tasks. Some days I feel small and lonely, and other days I'm just mad at the food that's burnt onto the bottom of the dishes in the sink. I know that this time of heightened emotions will pass, and that life will settle into a new normal. I just don't want to turn into a crazy person in the meantime.
Thank you for your prayers, and for your support in my work here at Black Forest Academy! I know God has great things planned for this year, and I look forward to walking this adventure with all of you.

Amanda 



Some of the seniors at BFA's Opening Ceremony. Proudly waving flags from the 62 passport countries represented!  

Learning to grocery shop for two people, instead of 24!
Katie and I, heading to our first day of school! 

Comments

  1. Why didn't you guys take a "first Day of School" shot, holding a sign and wearing your new clothes? All the kids seem to do that around here. :-) Praying and praying some more for these crazy days of transition, knowing that this, too, shall pass and become the funny stories and heartening memories of your "later on." We love you bunches, Miss Rumbaugh!

    ReplyDelete
  2. We will continue to be praying for you! You will do an amazing job! Just wish we could see the productions!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment