Teacher Life

Hello Friends,

It's a sunny autumn morning as I write this--the sun is shining, the leaves are changing, and the Kandern air is beginning to smell like smoke as the wood stoves and fireplaces start to see some real action, gearing up for brisker weather. Every morning as I ride my moped to school, I'm grateful for my wool coat and I think that it's time to get a windproof pair of gloves.

As hard as it is to believe, the first quarter of the school year is almost finished. I'll be filling out report cards soon (how crazy is THAT), and I'm sifting through the assignments and grades I've given, making sure that I have enough projects in each grading category...
And as I think about grading categories, I'm considering all the categories of my own life over these past 9 weeks--life is busy, that's for sure! I think if I tried to summarize every category of my life, this newsletter would be longer than anyone would care to read (well, except my mom, I guess).
So as I write each blogpost from now on, I think I'll choose one category to highlight, to give you a glimpse into my new life here at BFA.

Today's category: Teacher Life

I suppose first and foremost, I'm a teacher. And here at the end of the first quarter, I'm finally beginning to find my rhythm. My Public Speaking class is made up mostly of seniors, and they've been patient with me as I have sometimes muddled lesson plans and had to re-explain fuzzy concepts. But they're doing great! They've presented a few speeches now, have learned about nonverbal communication, outlining speeches, and how to throw together an impromptu speech. (Impromptu Speaking Day is always everyone's favorite...that explains all the moaning and groaning, right?) Every Friday, we take a break from note-taking and speech-giving and we watch famous speeches from history: Martin Luther King Jr, Ronald Reagan, JFK...I'd like for them to finish the semester not only knowing how to give a speech, but also having some idea of how speeches have shaped the world.

Acting Class is always an adventure--It's a small class of five, and they're fun group to teach. My students work hard, and they're enthusiastic about learning the different acting skills and methods that we're talking about. They're currently writing and getting ready to perform their own monologues, which is pretty cool! Of course their favorite part of class is at the end of the "lesson" time when we play improv games. It's a chance for them to be creative, be goofy, and interact with their fellow actors in unscripted and unexpected ways. There's always a lot of laughter, and some of my fellow teachers have asked me a few times what was going on. "So...am I crazy, or did I hear shrieking pterodactyls coming from your classroom today?" "Was a group of monkeys trying to steal the Bat Mobile in your class this morning?"  It makes everyone else's day a little bit weirder, so I'd call that a success.

Teacher life is busy, and not always easy. I'm sure I don't have to tell any of my teacher friends that. I'm re-learning time management: there are always lesson plans to be written and forms to fill out.
I'm figuring out how to structure class schedules: what IS a reasonable amount of time to spend talking about emotional expression?
And as I learn to manage a classroom, I'm trying to walk the line between "buddy" and "dictator." :) I'm sure the balance is in there somewhere. There are days when I'm overwhelmed and I feel unqualified to do this job. There are days when I look at my classroom and see nothing but glazed eyes and the tops of heads as students are slumped over their desks, and I think, "What am I doing here?"
But there are also days when I get to watch those same kids get up and give impassioned speeches about rabbit raising, global politics, and guitar strings, and I see the progress and the potential. And while I know I'm not a great teacher yet, and maybe not even a good one, I really care about these kids and I'm trying to teach them well, as best as I can, every day. And that has to count for something.

Prayer Requests:

* Improvement in Teaching
   Pray for me as I continue to learn to be a better teacher. I'm constantly tweaking my class schedule and weekly structure, determining how best to introduce and explain topics, and how best to grade and assess what my kids are actually learning. And doing this thing on my own is above my pay grade. So please join me as I ask for God's Spirit to lead me in my daily teaching.

* Matthew 6:34
   I think it's the NKJV Bible that phrases it like this: "Do not worry about tomorrow, for tomorrow will worry about its own things. Sufficient for the day is its own trouble." I like that. And I want to learn to live that way. There is always something else for me to be doing. Literally always. And there are things that I'll have to work on tomorrow--lesson plans I haven't written, students I haven't talked to, materials I haven't collected...But today has enough trouble in it without borrowing from tomorrow. And God has only promised to give us grace for today.
Please pray with me, that I can have the discipline and trust to lay aside all of tomorrow's worries, and only focus on the tasks for today. And also pray that I'll have the wisdom to know the difference.

* Next Year 
   This is my 4th year working at Black Forest Academy. In conversations we've had, I may have told you that I can renew my German work visa for up to five years. In other words, I can stay here at BFA for one more year, if I want. If that's what God is telling me to do. And therein lies the decision. I'm seeking clarity in this--should I commit to teaching Speech and Drama at BFA for the 2016-2017 school year? Or is God moving me toward something else? There are many factors (financial, emotional, physical) that go into this decision, and many people who feel strongly one way or another, but I really only want to hear God's voice in this. Please pray with me as I seek God's wisdom in making a decision about next year.


I don't have any pictures from this aspect of my life (For some reason, I forget to take pictures while I'm teaching my classes...), but I don't want to publish a blogpost without any photos.

So this is a random smattering of snapshots from "Life in General." Which is rarely dull, and nearly always an adventure.

We had a group of Palm girls over to our apartment for lunch!
It was so good to spend time with them all. 

While Katie's friend, Starla, was visiting,
we went on a day trip to some French vineyards!


Vineyards, obviously, are made for frolicking. 



The best feature of our apartment
 is our wood burning stove.
Katie and I both love it. 


Love and prayers from Germany,

Amanda

Comments

  1. His mercies are new every morning.
    We love what the Lord is doing through you as you speak--quite literally--into students' lives.
    We love your pictures. We love you. -Mom and Dad

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. hey hey...I MAY not always make my bed, but I DO make time to read my dear One's blog! lovDad (well, except my mom, I guess).

      Delete
  2. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yes! And making the bed is new every morning too :-).

    Praying for you Amanda! As your former piano and writing teacher, and admirer of your natural God-given acting ability, I am thrilled to see you using your many gifts (including the one of humor) to train others in the skills of public speaking and acting! To God be the glory!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Vineyards and corn fields...frolicking and parading. Thanks for the smiles A Day In The Life of Amanda Joyavich produced for me. lovDad

    ReplyDelete
  5. Happy Halloween:) Will be praying for all the things you've listed and for your mom if you decide to stay one more year:) I know she wants only what the Lord wants for you, but I'm guessing she wants the Lord to want you home for a while:) Always in our prayers! Love, Claudia and the gang

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment