Highlights of Springtime, and also some poetry.

Hello world,
Welcome to this edition of Highlights of Spring Semester! Now, I know what you're thinking. "Amanda. It's almost the end of May. Your last update was in February. How are you going to summarize 4 months of highlights in a single blogpost?" Well fear not, readers! I won't wax on in lengthy detail. I don't want to write a 10 page post any more than you want to read one.
I have a plan. So buckle up and get ready for.....

"Amanda's Highlights of Spring--Haiku Edition!" 

(In which I summarize the main events of the spring at BFA through the magic of mediocre poetry.)


Highlight #1:
Fiddler on the Roof



Lights and microphones.
Costumes. Problems to solve, but
my crew is the best.

Long hours. Rehearsals.
The story comes together:
It's a miracle.

Show week. Something new:
Community on the stage.
The best miracle.



It's opening night.
Shoot, are we ready for this?
Too late, here they come.

Lights. The house is full.
There's laughter and tears and strings.
My heart is full, too.

I love these students.
They told this story so well.
Seriously, though.


Highlight #2: 
A Visit from Mom and Dad



Mom and dad fly in.
Happy show and birthday week!
My most loyal fans.

Puzzles. Walks. Doner.
Mom helped me clean out my fridge.
Family is the best.


Highlight #3:
I traveled to North Africa over spring break, to visit the family of some of my former students. 


Spring break. Travel time!
A new country and old friends.
Camels hurt my butt.



Tatooine's sand storms.
Hanging in Luke Skywalker's house.
And: I love hummus.



Highlight #4:
We held our Second Annual One Act Festival--an evening of short plays directed by our students.

**(unfortunately, no photos accompany this set of haikus. Which is really a bummer, because there were some great moments.)**

Annual Showcase:
Cars, Chickens, and Detentions.
We laughed till it hurt.

Student directors.
Comedies and musicals.
They made it happen.

Now students direct.
And they write and memorize.
I watch. I am proud.

Highlight #5:
I finished my first year of Grad School!

(Does this make me a sophomore again, or how does this work?)



Homework and reading.
Deadlines sneaking up on me.
I know more things now.

Final assignments.
Screenplays and analyses.
Submit. Year One ends.

Two more weeks to go.
I'll trade my teacher hat for
A student one. Whoo!

On-the-ground classes.
Acting Class, tech and run crew.
I'm pumped about this.

Highlight #6: For the second year, I got the honor of presenting BFA's Annual Theatre Awards: Our Thespian of the Year and BFA's Behind the Curtain Award. 



A bittersweet time:
Graduation is coming,
and seniors will leave.

We celebrate them.
Flowers, honors, and awards.
I will miss these kids.

So to my seniors:
Thank you, and I'm proud of you.
Now go break a leg.



Lastly, a prayer request:
Financial Provision. I'm in need of about $400/month for my last year of service at BFA. 


One more year to go.
God promises to provide.
I'm waiting to see.

Want to get involved?
To join me at BFA?
Ask, or click this link.


Thanks for joining me for this series of really mediocre haikus! Let me know if you want me to keep using this format for my updates. Or if you have any other ideas.

As always, thank you for reading, and thank you for praying for me, my students, and my colleagues here at BFA. I love this place, and I'm honored to have you on my team.

Peace to you,
ajr








Comments

  1. Love Haiku and you.
    Limericks could be fun, too.
    Can't wait to hug you!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment