Merry Christmas and Happy New Year!

Hello, friends!
Merry Christmas and Happy New Year from Pennsylvania!
Christmas break has arrived, and as I sit here at my sister's dining table and wait for my nephew to wake up from his nap, I finally have time and mental energy to type up some highlights and reflections on the fall semester. The whole Rumbaugh clan was together for Christmas, and the house has been full of games, laughter, matching pajamas, conversation, Christmas cookies, and general revelry. I hope that your holiday season has been equally full of memories, celebration, and joy. And as 2018 comes to a close, I pray that this coming year is characterized by more of the same.



This semester, like many others during my ministry at BFA, has been fast-paced and full of joys and sorrows, victories and challenges. And if you're into lessons, it has been one of perseverance and hope. Let's get into some of the highlights:

1) Junior Class Trip to France
As you might remember, I am one of the Class Sponsors for BFA's class of 2020, which means that I helped to lead the annual Junior Class Trip to Normandy. The 4-day trip was a whirlwind of long bus rides, fascinating and sobering cemetery and museum tours, camp stove meals, and camping out in tents and on floors with energetic and hilarious teenagers. Did we get much sleep? No. Did half of the class (including me) get totally sick during the adventure? Yes. Did I get a chance to talk with and pray with and laugh with and know many of my students better than I had before? Yes. The sobering history of our destination fostered interesting discussions regarding truth, duty, war, and justice. The long bus rides provided opportunities to learn from and about the kids in my class. And I got totally caught up on my teenage slang. (And horrified many a teenage girl by attempting to use phrases like "spill the tea" and "yas, queen" and "straight fire" as much as possible.) So I'd say it was worth it.








2) The Middle School Musical: Once Upon a Mattress
This semester's musical was a Middle School production of Getting to Know...Once Upon a Mattress. If you don't know the story, it's basically a re-imagining of "The Princess and the Pea." I had a cast of twenty 6th-8th grade kids, and they did a great job taking on their characters and telling a goofy and adorable story. I also had a talented group of volunteers who created amazing costumes and sets, and the whole production was adorable and delightful. Although I am biased. Pictures are worth a thousand words in this case, so enjoy this selection of pictures.







3) I'm almost done with Grad School.
As of the time of this writing, I am 4 credits away from completing my MA in Theatre. This semester I took 9 credits...which seemed like a perfectly reasonable amount, until I remembered that I also have a full-time job. Between my work at BFA, in addition to my design projects, dramaturgy papers, and teaching portfolios, there was never an hour when I didn't have something that I needed to be working on. So to be honest, as much as I loved what I was learning this semester, I felt pretty worn out by the time I handed in my final projects on December 22nd. But tiredness and busyness aside, I can tell you that this program has made me ten times better at my job, and makes me excited to continue working in the theatre even after I leave BFA.

4) Simeon!
In case you missed it, my sister had her baby this semester and he is THE CUTEST person under the age of one. In all of existence. Feel free to disagree, but you're wrong. Simeon John was born in October, and I have been EAGERLY anticipating meeting him this Christmas break.
It was kind of wonderful, actually, waiting to meet this baby during Advent season. While Simeon is obviously not the Savior, the hope and anticipation of meeting Baby Simeon was a tangible picture of the hopeful anticipation of the world waiting to meet Baby Jesus. Waiting for and then finally holding an actual baby made the Christmas season all the more fun. It also made the whole idea of the Incarnation even more bizarre. You mean God became a BABY that poops and cries and snuggles and has tiny little toes? Praise the Lord. Christmas is so weird.


Prayer Requests

  • Focus and presence during my final semester at BFA. I want to invest well, and be thoroughly engaged in everything I do--Pray that I don't give into the temptation to disengage or be so focused on the future. 
  • Pray for diligence and focus during my final semester of grad school. Again, I want to finish well!
  • I've been having some increasingly significant back pain over the past several months. Usually I can sleep through it...sometimes not. I've been seeing a physical therapist while I'm here in the US over break, so I am optimistic that with time and exercise, my muscles will stop spazzing out...but my job involves a lot of computer work and also carrying heavy things, so I'd appreciate prayers for expedited healing. 
  • Pray for wisdom and direction as I make future plans. My time at BFA will come to a close in June, so I am looking for theatre jobs beginning in the summer or fall. Please pray that I pursue the right connections and that I clearly hear God's voice as he calls me to the next place.
  • Meanwhile, I am praying for trust, patience, and peace in the "not knowing." I want to be a responsible adult who plans for the future. But I also want to be content in where I am and willing to trust that God will reveal his plan when it's time. 

Thank you for your faithful prayers and support! Happy New Year to all of you--may God show up in great ways in 2019.

Amanda

Comments

  1. You spill da tea, Queen. Yas, this blog is on fire. Love, Cool Dad

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Good job, Dad. You used all those phrases exactly right.

      Delete

Post a Comment